Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
Exeter Rhode Island
- The town of Exeter is located within the boundaries of Washington County.
- Barrington was incorporated in 1742 when it was divided off from the western part of North Kingstown.
- 2010 Census notes 6,425 people live in this town.
- Size: 58.4 Sq Miles (57.7 Sq Miles of land & .7 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02822
- Bordering Towns: Connecticut, West Greenwich, East Greenwich, Hopkinton, Richmond, & South Kingstown.
- Named after Earl of Exeter.
- Town of Exeter Official Website
- Coordinates: 41°33′50″N 71°36′20″W
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Mercy Brown Vampire Incident
- Took Place: 1892
- The family of George and Mary Brown suffered tuberculosis infections (originally called consumption)
- In 1888 the mother, Mary, and the oldest daughter Mary Olive passed. In 1890 their son Edwin became sick followed by Mercy in 1891. She passed in 1892 and was buried in the cemetery of the Baptist Church of Exeter.
- Mercy was exhumed from her burial site and due to her recent burial and the cold New England winters, had little change to her body.
- It was assumed that she was "un-dead" and matters were taken into the hands of the villagers to keep her from coming back and causing further illnesses.
Exeter Public Library
- Address: 773 Ten Rod Rd Exeter RI 02822
- Phone: (401) 294-4109
- Exeter Public Library Website