Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
Jamestown Rhode Island
- The town of Jamestown is located within the boundaries of Newport County.
- Jamestown was incorporated in 1678.
- 2010 Census notes 5,405 people live in this town.
- Jamestown sits almost entirely on Conanicut Island, the 2nd largest island in Narragansett Bay.
- Size: 35.3 Sq Miles (9.7 Sq Miles of land & 25.6 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02835
- The oldest human artifact found on Conanicut Island date from around 3000 BC.
- Town of Jamestown Official Website
- Coordinates: 41°31′13″N 71°22′18″W
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Claiborne Pell Newport Bridge
- Type: Suspension Bridge
- Connects: Newport (Aquidneck Island) & Jamestown over Narragansett Bay
- Built: 1969
- AKA: Newport Bridge
- Operated by: Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority
- Hwy: RI 138
- Span: Main span 1,601 Ft. Overall span: 11,247 Ft.
- Ranking: #70 among the longest suspension bridges in the world, the longest in New England.
- The bridge is the only toll road in RI.
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge
- Spans: Narragansett Bay
- Hwy: Route 138
- Type: Post-Tensioned, Double-Cell Concrete Box Girder Bridge
- This bridge has 4 travel lanes separated by jersey barriers.
- Span: 7,350 ft
- Connects: North Kingstown & Jamestown
- Bicycles are NOT permitted on the bridge.
- Built: 1992 to replace the Jamestown bridge which was demolished in April of 2006.
- The bridge is named after Giovanni de Verrazzano.
- The second largest island in Narragansett Bay.
- The Native Americans used to inhabit the island seasonally and is now home to the largest Native cemetery in New England.
- The Island is named for Chief Canonicus of the Narragansett Tribe.
- Coordinates: 41°31′00″N 71°23′00″W
- There is a sheep on the central position in the Jamestown seal due to Cononicus giving permission to the English to use the island for grazing sheep.
- In 1725 a ferry between Conanicut & Newport was established.
- In 1748 a ferry between Conanicut & South Kingstown was established.
- Official Beavertail Lighthouse Website
- The dwelling that houses the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum was built in 1898 to house an assistant keeper, who helped maintain both the beacon and foghorn systems. The keeper’s house was built earlier – in 1856, along with the granite tower and the first of several large fog-signal buildings that were important parts of the Beavertail Light Station.
- The last of the larger sound-signaling buildings, along with its two fog horn system generators and compressors, was destroyed in the 1938 hurricane.
- Beavertail may be reached via Rhode Island route 138 from the east or west side of Narragansett Bay. Follow the signs to Jamestown Center.
- Active Lighthouse.
Gould Island Light
- Coordinates: 41°32′4″N 71°20′38″W
- Gould Light was first lit in 1889 and deactivated in 1947.
- Built of brick, the tower was a conical shape.
- The plans for the keeper's house were used a year later for Coney Island Light.
- In 1947 the light house was replaced by a skeleton tower.
- The tower was demolished in 1988.
- Original optic: Fifth-order Fresnel
- It was owned by the sachem Koskotop until he sold it to Thomas Gould in 1657.
Conanicut Island Light
- Coordinates: 41.5733°N 71.3725°W
- This lighthouse was built in 1886.
- The light was deactivated in 1933 and it's lantern was removed.
- The lighthouse was used in the filming of Moonrise Kingdom in 2012.
- This late Gothic revival lighthouse, with 6 rooms, is now privately owned.
- The first light keeper was Horace Arnold.
- The lighthouse's second and final keeper was Elmer V. Newton.
- The lighthouse, with the lantern room removed, was sold at auction for $2,785. The automatic light remained in use until April 21, 1982. The skeleton tower was quickly dismantled and sold for scrap.
Jamestown Philomenian Library
- Address: 26 North Road Jamestown RI 02835
- Phone: (401) 423-7280
- Jamestown Philomenian Library
|Mackerel Cove / Jamestown Town Beach||Beavertail Rd||SITE||401.423.7260||Salt|