RI Towns > Little Compton RI

Little Compton, RI

Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do

 

 

Little Compton Rhode Island

  • The town of Little Compton is located within the boundaries of Newport County.
  • Little Compton was incorporated in 1746.
  • 2010 Census notes 3,492 people live in this town.
  • Little Compton is the birthplace of the Rhode Island Red Hen.
  • Size: 28.9 Sq Miles (20.9 Sq Miles of land & 8.0 Sq Miles of water)
  • Zip Code: 02837
  • Little Compton was originally inhabited by the Sakonnet Tribe who were led by the Awashonks.
  • Town of Little Compton Official Website
  • Coordinates:  41°30′N 71°10′W

Real Estate Facts

Residential

% of Value

Commercial

Vehicle

Biz / Personal Prop

$5.64 100% $5.64 $13.90 $11.28

* last assessed in 2006

Around Town

Wilbor House
  • Location: 548 W Main Rd Little Compton RI
  • Currently a Historic House Museum.
  • Serves as the headquarters of the Little Compton Historical Society.
  • Built: 1690
  • Architect: Samuel Wilbore
  • Samuel purchased the land from the Indians in 1673.
  • Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
  • Style: Georgian, Post-medieval English
  • Land Area: 1.4 Acres
Sakonnet Light
  • This lighthouse was built in 1884 near Sakonnet Point in Little Compton RI.
  • The lighthouse was deactivated in 1954 & was going to be destroyed, but local residents fought to save the lighthouse.
  • Carl and Haffenreffer bought the lighthouse in 1961 to save it.
  • In 1985, The Friends of Sakonnet Lighthouse acquired the lighthouse and it was reactivated by the coast guard in 1997.
  • A 1.45 Million Dollar restoration of the lighthouse was completed in 2012.
  • Construction: Cast Iron with Brick Base.

Brownell Library Home of Little Compton
  • Address: 44 Commons Little Compton RI 02837
  • Phone: (401) 635-8562
  • Brownell Library Home of Little Compton Website
  • According to the library website, "The Brownell Library, built in 1929, was bequeathed to the people of Little Compton by Mr. Pardon Brownell when he died in 1921. In 1963 the stack addition was added and the town’s public library was removed from the town hall and physically combined with the Brownell Library. Since that time the Trustees of the Brownell Trust provide maintenance and repair of the building. Through the town annual appropriations, the taxpayers provide the funds for staffing, books and supplies."

 

Little Compton Beaches

Beach Name

Address

Website

Phone

Type

Goosewing Beach South Shore Rd 401.365.4400 Salt
South Shore Beach South Shore Rd 401.635.9974 Salt