Fun Facts, Real Estate Facts & Things To Do
South Kingstown Rhode Island
- The town of South Kingstown is located in Washington County.
- According to the 2010 census the population is 30,639.
- Villages include: Kingston, West Kingston, Wakefield, Peace Dale, Snug Harbor, Tuckertown, East Matunuck, Matunuck, Green Hill & Perryville. Other small areas include: Ocean Ridge, Indian Lake & Torrey Hill.
- South Kingstown was formed in 1722 when Kings Towne split into North and South.
- Size: 79.8 Sq Miles (57.1 Sq Miles of land & 22.7 Sq Miles of water)
- Zip Code: 02879, 02883, 02892
- Town of South Kingstown Official Website
Real Estate Facts
% of Value
Biz / Personal Prop
Hanna Robinson Tower
- The Hannah Robinson Tower is 40 feet tall.
- Named in memory of Hannah Robinson, born in 1746 and passed in 1773, was the daughter of Rowland Robinson Jr a member of the community of Narragansett's planter society.
- The entire tower is made of wood and located at the corner of Route 1 & Route 138.
- Built in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corp was rebuilt in 1988 using the same pillars.
- The structure was originally 100 feet tall and used in World War II as an observation tower.
- It overlooks the Atlantic Ocean & Narragansett Bay.
Carpenter's Grist Mill
- Location: 364 Moonstone Beach Rd S. Kingstown RI 02879
- Phone: 401.783.5483
- Water powered grist mill Built by Samuel E. Perry in 1703. Still in operation. Grinding Rhode Island Whitecap flint corn into white cornmeal for jonny cakes, corn bread and other recipes using cornmeal.
- The quaint little grist mill on Moonstone Beach Rd. in the Perryville section of South Kingstown, RI was built by Samuel E. Perry in 1703. It has been known as Carpenter's Grist Mill since 1874 when the Carpenter family first became owners. It is a working mill where Rhode Island Whitecap Flint Corn is stone ground by water power. In continuous operation since it was built, it is the only water powered mill currently operating in Rhode Island.
- Location: 1859 Mooresfield Rd South Kingstown RI 02880.
- The Fayerweather Craft Guild is now open for its 45th season of sponsoring a full range of craft demonstrations and hands-on workshops, where you can learn a skill from scratch or bring in your own project and get the advice of an expert. Families at Fayerweather, a series of free events giving children aged 4 and up the opportunity to create and play with a traditional toy or game, is on the schedule again, along with a brand-new activity -- Crafters Circle, an informal monthly get-together for crafters to work on their projects, share information and inspire one another.
- Official Website.
South Kingstown, RI Dog Parks
South Kingstown Dog Park
60 St. Dominic Rd, Wakefield, RI
South Kingstown, RI Libraries
Kingston Free Library
- Address: 2605 Kingstown Rd, Kingston RI 02881
- Phone: (401) 783-8254
- Kingston Free Library Website
- According to the library website, "The building presently occupied by the library is a large two and one-half story structure with a polygonal belfry and roof and a large pedimented entry. Materials used in the post and beam construction came from local forests within a mile radius. Originally built as a county court house, it also served as one of the five original state houses when the General Assembly rotated its meetings between 1776-1791. The exterior was altered in 1876, taking on a dignified Victorian appearance. The gable roof was replaced with a mansard style roof, bracketed cornices were installed, and a central pavilion and tower were added to the front, providing a new entry, vestibule, and staircase to the courtroom on the second floor. The belfry was moved from the old roof to the top of the tower. Contrasting colors in deep gold and dark brown were chosen to enhance the ornamentation. In 1895, when a new court house was build in West Kingston, the first floor was remodeled for library purposes and the court room on the second floor was converted into a meeting hall (Potter Hall). in 1959, the General Assembly transferred the title of the building to the Kingston Free Library Corporation for $1.00. In 1974, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The interior was completely renovated in 1994. A two-story addition was constructed at the rear of the building and an elevator was installed to provide handicapped access to Potter Hall."
Peace Dale Library
- Address: 1057 Kingstown Rd., Peace Dale RI 02879
- Phone: (401) 789-1555
- Kingston Free Library Website
- According to the library website, "On October 9, 1891, Rowland Hazard and John Newbold Hazard gave to the town a living memorial "built" in memory of their father Rowland Gibson Hazard. Designed by architect Frank W. Angell, the building is a massive Richardsonian Romanesque stone building with a hip-roof and large wood-shingled section at the rear with a louvered cupola. It has a large arched entry; a short conical tower at the right of the entry; a gabled section, with wood-shingled upper part left of the entrance; straight topped windows; several small gabled and eyebrow dormers; and two massive stone chimneys. In addition, there is a porte-cochere on the east side and a porch on the west side. The wood-shingled section was originally a large auditorium with a stage and was actively used in the early 20th century when the building was the center of village life. Above the former stage is a plaster frieze depicting musical activity, which is a reproduction of a work by Italian Renaissance sculptor Luca Della Robbia. The library originally occupied the large front room, which has a balcony that goes nearly around the room. This room as well as others is finished almost exclusively with cypress. Today the Hazard Memorial Building serves as the central library for the South Kingstown Public Library system. In November 1988, a major renovation to the building was undertaken and completed in March 1990. The renovation preserved the architectural integrity of the building and traditions of the past and incorporated them into providing a contemporary library facility for the entire community. A bronze sculpture, "The Weaver", by Daniel Chester French sits on the Library grounds. French's only work in Rhode Island, this 1920 piece was commissioned by Caroline Hazard in memory of her father and her two brothers."
Robert Beverly Hale Library
- Address: 2601 Commodore Perry Hwy Wakefield, RI 02879
- Phone: (401) 783-5386
- Kingston Free Library Website
- According to the library website, "his library which serves the Matunuck and Perryville area in South Kingstown was dedicated to the memory of Robert Beverly Hale. Hale, who died at an early age, was the son of Edward Everett Hale, a Unitarian minister, writer, and author of The Man Without a Country. The building is a one-story clapboard shingled structure, with a stone-and-brick chimney and granite foundation. There is a central entry with a semi-elliptical fanlight and sidelights. The main reading room has a fireplace and a handsome bay window with a view of the surrounding woods. In 1930, the Perkins Memorial Wing was added on the west which provided a children's room that is still in use today. The Caroline P. Atkinson Memorial Wing was added in 1952 on the east. The library underwent an extensive renovation in 1991 which included a small two-story addition at the rear of the building for a staff office/workroom and storage space in the basement."
South County Bike Path
- The South County Bike Path, also known as the William C. O'Neill Bike Path, is the state's fourth-longest bike path, stretching 7.8 miles from Kingston Station in the village of West Kingston in South Kingstown to Mumford Road in Narragansett. The path is envisioned to connect Kingston Station to the Narragansett shoreline.
- South Kingstown Parking:
- Intersection of Route 108 and Railroad Street in Peace Dale
- Kingston Train Station, South Kingstown
- Main Street at Robinson Street in Wakefield
S. Kingstown Beaches
|Carpenter's Beach Meadow||854 Matunuck Beach Rd||401.783.4412||Salt|
|East Matunuck State Beach||950 Succotash Rd||SITE||401.789.8374||Salt|
|South Kingstown Town Beach at Matunuck||Matunuck Beach Rd||SITE||401.789.9301||Salt|